Update: This is for a full version WordPress blog only. If you have a WordPress.com blog, this will not apply to you since you don’t have access to all the files.
Adding a favicon to your blog/website is one way to express yourself. It tells people a little bit about your blog/website too. Professional blogs/websites will never leave it out. If you don’t know what a favicon is, it is a 16×16 pixels or 32×32 pixels image (icon) that is displaced in your browser’s address bar. Check the screenshot below:
I just added a favicon to my WordPress blog. Now it is your turn to add yours. If you don’t know how, the following steps could be useful:
- First you need to have your image ready in your PC (personal computer).
- Second visit Create a Favicon With Free Favicon Generators Online and follow one of the instructions there to create a favicon.ico image file.
- Third download favicon.ico image file to your PC and unzip the file.
- Next upload the unzipped favicon.ico image to public_html/wp-content/themes/your-theme-name/. Make sure you change your-theme-name to be your actual theme’s name.
- Next login to your WordPress Admin dashboard; click on Appearance/Editor/Header (header.php).
- Then insert the following code in your header.php file; more specifically between <head> and </head>.
- Finally save your header.php file.
If you use Internet Explorer as your browser, then holding Ctrl and hit R at the same time to reload your blog/website. If you use Mozilla Firefox as your browser, then holding Ctrl and hit F5 at the same time to refresh your blog/website. You should be able to see a favicon which is next to your URL now. However, some people’s favicon may not be shown immediately.
Would you like to add a favicon to your WordPress blog? Why or why not? Please leave a comment below.
How to Add a Favicon to Your New Blogger?